Dillon Hughes swept girlfriend to floor, then drew knife on party-goer

Dillon Hughes swept girlfriend to floor, then drew knife on party-goer

A MAN who assaulted his partner and then pulled a knife on a man at a house party has been ordered to attend sessions with a domestic abuse organisation.

Dillon Hughes swept the legs from his girlfriend while she was arguing with a man at the party in the Gilmerton area of Edinburgh last October.

The woman was knocked to the ground, striking her head against a windowsill and suffering head injuries.

Following the assault on his partner, 21-year-old Hughes then drew a knife from his pocket and attempted to stab the man she had been rowing with.

Hughes, c/o Polmont YOI, appeared from custody at Edinburgh Sheriff Court last month to plead guilty to two charges and was back in the dock for sentencing last Monday.

Sheriff Donald Corke placed Hughes under the supervision of the local social work department for the next two years and said he must attend appointments with the Caledonian Men’s Programme to address his domestic abuse offending.

Previously, fiscal depute Jennifer McLaren told the court that Hughes, from Musselburgh, was at the party with his girlfriend when trouble erupted at about 11pm on October 8 last year.

READ MOREMan assaulted partner, then pulled knife on man after party argument

The woman became involved in an argument with a man in the stairwell of the property and neighbours were forced to phone the police due to the ongoing disturbance, the court was told.

Ms McLaren said that Hughes then got involved and had “swept her to the ground” with his feet whereby she “fell and struck her head on a windowsill”.

Hughes then pulled a knife from his trouser pocket, “brandished it towards the male” and “lunged several times at the male but did not strike”.

Police arrived at about 1.15am but Hughes had fled the area.

The woman was said to be “visibly upset and intoxicated” and had suffered injuries including a cut to her cheekbone and bruising to her eye and forehead.

The knife was recovered nearby and those attending the party were said to have been hostile to the police questioning by “declining to offer information”.

Hughes was eventually arrested and charged two days later and, following a court appearance on October 11, he was remanded in custody.

Solicitor Euan Gosney, representing Hughes, said that his client had “taken it upon himself to try and stop” his partner arguing with the man but “went above and beyond” what was acceptable.

The lawyer added that Hughes and the woman were still together and had a young child together.

Hughes pleaded guilty to assaulting his girlfriend by kicking her and sweeping her legs from under her whereby she struck her head at Lumsden Square, Edinburgh, on October 8 last year.

He also admitted brandishing a knife at an unknown male, lunging at him and repeatedly attempting to strike him with the blade during the same incident.

Source link
East Lothian Courier
Court Reporter

Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Consent Management Platform by Real Cookie Banner